BUJUMBURA — One of Burundi's vice presidents has fled to Belgium,
saying he had been threatened after denouncing President Pierre
Nkurunziza's bid for a third term in office, an allegation denied by the
government.
The president's decision in April to stand
again, branded unconstitutional by opponents, triggered weeks of often
violent street protests and Burundi's worst crisis since an ethnically
charged civil war ended in 2005.
"I took the decision to leave the country
because I was personally threatened," second vice president Gervais
Rufyikiri told France 24 television from Belgium on Wednesday.
"All who are against the third term are threatened. I personally was fearing for my security since I saw some signals."
A presidential spokesman said Rufyikiri, who left last week, had not been threatened.
The United Nations, African and Western nations
have called for dialogue to ease the crisis in a region with a history
of ethnic conflict. Talks between rival camps so far have shown little
sign of bridging differences.
Elite military units keep guard as
President Pierre Nkurunziza kicks off his official campaign for the
presidency at a rally on June 25, 2015 in Busoni, Burundi. Nkurunziza
has been President of Burundi since 2005 and is with the Defense of
Democracy-Forces for the Defense of Democracy (CNDD-FDD) party. Spencer Platt / Getty Images.
Rallies have petered out but the mood remains tense. Three grenade
attacks in the capital on Thursday injured several people, the latest in
a series of similar assaults in the past week that have killed four
people and injured dozens in Bujumbura and other towns.
The U.S. embassy said students camped out in a
nearby construction site had fled after police entered the area on
Thursday, and about 100 had taken refuge in an embassy parking area.
"The U.S. Embassy has contacted the government
of Burundi and urged them to find a peaceful resolution to the
situation," it said, adding that there had been no violence. The
students have been gathering at the site near the embassy for weeks,
saying they were seeking protection.
In May, the vice president of Burundi's election
commission and a senior judge fled the country, amid protests demanding
Nkurunziza stand down. Tens of thousands of people have also gone to
Rwanda and other neighboring states to escape the unrest.
Protests against the president erupted on April
26, a day after he announced his bid. Nkurunziza has refused to change
tack, citing a court ruling that found he was allowed to seek another
term.
Burundian students slide under the main
access gate of the American Embassy in Bujumbura on June 25, 2015.
Hundreds of students took refuge from the police forces by seeking
safety at the American embassy outside where they have been camping
since the end of April after being forced out of their campus. In dozens
at the time they slid under the main gate and jumped across the fence
while armed US marines where looking from the rooftops.
Both the presidential vote, now scheduled for July 15, and a
parliamentary election now due on June 29 have been delayed by several
weeks due to unrest.
A prominent Burundi rights group, led by an
activist who opposes the president's third-term bid, said last week that
the death toll since protests erupted was at least 70. The president's
ruling CNDD-FDD party has put it at more than 40.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments
(
Atom
)



0 comments:
Post a Comment